Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Trunk or Treat - 2015 Edition, Avatar: The Last Airbender

Have you ever seen the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender? If you haven't, change your ways right this second. Our kids started watching this series on Netflix several years ago, and after catching a few episodes with them, Scott and I started watching it ourselves after they were all in bed. It's really good, we all love it. It's not on Netflix anymore so we got the whole thing on DVD (it's only three seasons). (If you've only seen the feature film directed by M. Night Shyamalan, forget everything about it and go for the cartoon instead. I'm usually an M. Night fan, but he really botched that one.)

ANYWAY, that's who we decided to dress up as for our family theme trunk or treat costumes this year. We decided sometime in August or September I think, but it was a busy time (as it always is, amirite?). I put off and put off and put off figuring out those costumes. When there was less than a week to go I went though each of our characters and made a detailed list of what I would need to make/buy/find. It was a lot and I wasn't feeling optimistic. It was the Sunday before the trunk or treat Wednesday when I leveled with the kids. I told them I didn't think I'd have time to get our costumes done and we might need to make a last minute change to something more simple. They were understanding, and agreed we could try for Avatar again next year.

But then.

In morning prayers Monday, Afton prayed, "that we would be able to pull off our Avatar costumes."

Well, that'll do it. With new resolve I took my list to Goodwill that day, and I sincerely believe in direct answer to Afton's prayer I found every single obscure thing I needed there.

Tuesday evening Afton prayed over our dinner and added in, "And please bless that we'll be able to pull off really great Avatar costumes." And I was all like, "'Really great'? Simmer down, sister."

Wednesday I spent all day cutting felt, hot gluing things together, referring to pictures online, adding details, and ... I pulled off our Avatar costumes. I don't know if I'd call them really great, but I'm thankful for the example of Afton's faith.



Toph

Zuko

Ty Lee

Katara

Suki

Aang

Sokka was too busy talking to get an individual shot of him. I'm just glad he's willing to dress up every year.

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Very impressive! We have also watched the series. (three times now)
No hair loopies? I guess that's pretty hard to pull off. . .