Thursday, August 16, 2007

Crafty


For some reason I've been obsessed with sewing lately. Years ago I sewed a dress for Emma. It was a little sad. She liked it and wanted to wear it often. I told her it was a "just-for-wearing-at-home" dress, not a "being-seen-in-public" dress. But I've got a bug and want to learn to sew at least competently. So, to practice I've been busy making all the kids these fabric-scrap-cubes (bonus: at least half of the fabric scraps I used came from clothes my mom made me when I was growing up). I ripped off the idea from Cally (mastermind behind diaper bag below). The great thing is the kids love (LOVE) them. They sleep with them. They play with them all the time. They make up all kinds of games with them. They're always looking for their cubes. I love it. In a world of toys that are becoming exponentially louder, flashier and more high tech...here's something so basic, so downright primitive (pioneer children probably played with something like this along the wagon trails), so cheap and it has been a huge hit. Take that, Webkinz.

No comments: