After weeks of dormancy, building a fort kicked into high gear last weekend.
Ever since the big run-in with poison ivy, the last of the yard debris sat idle, with only the occasional thought or effort being directed toward it. As spring gave way to summer new poisonous vines found their way up through the soil we'd tried so valiantly to purge. We decided to let them grow for a little while, just long enough to get adequate leafage to absorb the good hefty dose of round-up we administered. Once our enemies were withered and dead, Scott's enthusiasm was renewed. He found a free Saturday and dedicated it to rototilling and leveling the dirt. He spread grass seed and hay (leaving a barren spot where the fort would stand) then we waited and watered. We were blessed once more with an unclaimed Saturday then exponentially blessed with a smattering of cousins and grandpas who arrived with willing helping hands.
It's not done yet, but we got quite a bit done in the one day.