Thursday, October 2, 2008

Kitchen + Messy = Tortillas!


I gave homemade tortillas a try this morning. I want to make breakfast burritos for dinner tonight but we were out of this one key ingredient. I could have just packed up the littlest kiddos and picked some up at the store, but sometimes that just seems like more trouble than it's worth. So I got all inspired to handle the situation pioneer-style. They weren't hard, but they were really messy (for me anyway, maybe better cooks don't get flour all over every single surface in their kitchens...but I do). They turned out a lot thicker than store-bought, but way tastier. I don't think I'll be making them on a regular basis, but it was better than a shopping trip for today. And it's nice to know I can.

Jenny's Good-Cookin' Homemade Flour Tortillas

4 C. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. oil
1 1/2 C. warm water

Mix all ingredients and knead into dough. Roll into 12 balls. Let rise for 30 minutes. Roll flat with a rolling pin. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Cook on both sides till speckled light brown.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh! I've been looking for a recipe for tortillas. I'm going to have to try this. :)

Yo Mama said...

Thanks for being the one to try this out. I have been wanting to try, but not wanting to on a meal that counts. Yours look good and if they're tasty I will have to give it a try.